We continue to wait, hope and pray that any day now — perhaps even today — the Supreme Court of the United States will reverse Roe v. Wade with the Dobbs decision. Let us now contemplate what has transpired over the past 50 years since Roe was decided and since the draft Dobbs majority opinion was leaked early last month. Let us also think about how the pro-life community should respond to a possible Post-Roe reality.
THE HOLOCAUST AFTER ROE
Roe v. Wade is the High Court’s landmark 1973 decision creating a constitutional right to abortion which was later affirmed in their landmark 1992 decision Planned Parenthood v. Casey. Our hearts will be soaring with joy and gratitude if the Supreme Court does indeed reverse Roe and Casey with Dobbs.
But our hearts will forever be heavy for the unspeakable loss of more than 63 million babies whose lives were tragically and violently ended by abortion over the past nearly half a century. We are comforted knowing those littlest, most innocent lambs are in the tender embrace of our Father in Heaven. Our hearts also grieve for the untold millions of mothers, fathers and families suffering from the lingering anguish of aborting their unborn child.
In yesterday’s Denison Forum, Council for Life Advisory Board member Dr. Jim Denison poignantly states our immense grief “for the six million Jews — a quarter of whom were children — murdered by the Nazis” and recent incidents of mass shootings in our country. “Such tragedies are horrifically devastating; one is too many.” But as Dr. Denison also powerfully notes, the over 63 million babies aborted in the U.S. that Roe enabled is “ten times the number of Jewish Holocaust victims.” (Read yesterday’s Denison Forum HERE)
THE VEHEMENT RESPONSE FROM THE PRO-ABORTION SIDE AFTER THE LEAKED OPINION — “SUMMER OF RAGE”
The leak last month of Justice Alito’s draft Dobbs majority opinion ignited the rage of pro-abortionists and their resolve to not only maintain, but to expand abortion rights in our nation. The vehement response included:
- Angry mobs gathered in front of the steps of the U.S. Supreme Court as soon as the news of the leaked opinion broke. More mobs gathered and spent this past Sunday night on the steps of the Supreme Court in anticipation of the release of the Dobbs opinion.
- Pro-abortion group Ruth Sent Us has initiated multiple protests outside the Supreme Court Justices’ homes. There have been death threats and an attempted assassination of Justice Kavanaugh.
- We are thankful that just yesterday, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill (passed by the U.S. Senate last month) providing additional government-funded security to the Justices and their families that has been sent to President Biden for final approval.
- Thousands of angry abortion rights supporters across the country demonstrated on May 14 in rallies organized by the Women’s March, Planned Parenthood and other pro-abortion groups with Women’s March President Rachel Carmona tweeting the promise of a “Summer of Rage” and encouraging participation in The Women’s Convention 2022. (See Carmona’s Tweet HERE)
- Jane’s Revenge and other radical abortion activists vandalized and firebombed pro-life pregnancy resource centers, organizations and churches across the nation. Just this past weekend, pro-abortion terrorists firebombed a pregnancy resource center in Gresham, Oregon, the fourth known such incident of arson at a pro-life organization (See National Review coverage HERE), and nearly naked activists shouting pro-abortion chants disrupted mass at a Catholic church in Eastpointe, Michigan.
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund, NARAL (National Abortion Rights Action League) Pro-Choice America and EMILY’S List are investing $150 million toward 2022 midterm elections. Planned Parenthood Action Fund President Alexis McGill Johnson ominously told Politico “Let this be a warning to the out-of-touch politicians standing in the way of our reproductive freedom: People are watching. People are furious. And this November, the people will vote you out.” (See Politico article HERE)
- U.S. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) swiftly brought the Women’s Health Protection Act of 2021, arguably the most radically extreme abortion law ever passed by a legislative body in the world, for a vote again in the U.S. Senate.
- Pro-abortion states like California are positioning to be a “Sanctuary” for abortion access.
- Thirteen companies, including Amazon, Apple, Bumble, Citigroup, Levi Strauss, Lyft, Mastercard, Match, Microsoft, Starbucks, Tesla, Uber and Yelp announced plans to pay for abortion travel across state lines and other abortion related benefits.
- Internet advertisement and availability of chemical abortion pills by mail or delivery service has increased significantly, enabling women to have at-home, unsupervised abortions without a threshold pregnancy test and without being under a doctor’s care, often resulting in dangerous complications including incomplete abortion, excessive bleeding, hemorrhaging and even death.
PRO-ABORTION SIDE PROMISES MORE POST-ROE RAGE
A recent article by Catholic News Agency states “Anarchist groups and individuals using the moniker “Jane’s Revenge” are among those who claim to be planning a “Night of Rage” to respond to the Supreme Court’s expected overturning of Roe v. Wade. (Read CNA‘s article HERE)
PRO-LIFE RESPONSE IN TRUTH AND LOVE
How can the pro-life community help cool the rage? By responding to the vitriol and anger with the peace of the Holy Spirit and compassionate information to help the abortion rights community understand that tiny unborn babies are in fact children made in the image of God who have value and dignity and deserve protection from abortion. That life begins at conception. That babies residing in a mother’s womb are not clumps of cells. That women facing unplanned pregnancies can choose life.
As we hopefully move into a Post-Roe world, Council for Life’s Educational Resources will be vitally important to you. We hope each of you will visit Council for Life’s website at councilforlife.org to learn how you can share the reasons why you want to protect pre-born children from abortion and how our community is prepared to give each child an opportunity for a flourishing life.
WE MUST CONTINUE TO PRAY
Join us in continuing to pray for:
- The safety and protection of the Supreme Court Justices and their families and all judges, legislators and other leaders who boldly take a stand to protect the unborn from the morally repugnant act of abortion.
- All of us on the side of Life, to have awareness of God’s abiding presence so we may respond to hateful rhetoric of the pro-abortion side with words of grace and the fruit of the Holy Spirit.
- God to equip all who stand for Life with wisdom and fortitude to not grow weary as we navigate a Post-Roe world and continue the fight for unborn babies and all who suffer from the tragedy of abortion.
- The safety and protection of life-affirming agencies as they courageously serve vulnerable unborn babies, mothers, fathers and families with compassionate care and vital resources.
- Those who cling fiercely to the belief that abortion is a woman’s reproductive right, many of whom have had abortions, for their hearts to be transformed so they would value precious babies in the womb.
- Hope and Healing for all those suffering from the pain of having experienced abortion.
- Churches and Pastors to passionately and boldly communicate their support of the reversal of Roe and the sanctity of life to their congregations and to make unequivocally clear that the church is a refuge for those facing an unplanned pregnancy or in need of post-abortion support and healing.
“But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run
and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace,
patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness
and self-control. Against such things there is no law…”
“Instead, we will speak the truth in love,
growing in every way more and more like Christ,
who is the head of His body, the church.”